To keep the memory of his mother alive, Jagatkishore Acharya Chowdhury established Bidyamayee Girls High School in the district town in 1873 for female education. The school was housed in a red two-storied building on 3.5231 acres (14,257 m2) of land in the centre of Mymensingh town. Some other landlords of Mymensingh like zaminders of Muktagacha, Gouripur and Krishnanagar came forward with financial support to fulfill the mission of Jagatkishore. At that time women education was in a deplorable state in Bengal but following the establishment of the school, female education in the Bengali community, both Hindu and Muslim, took a positive turn.
The school was nationalised in 1912. The first headmaster of the school was Sree Nabokumar Samaddar who continued his service till 1912. After him Sreemoti Bhakti Sudha Ghosh took over as the head teacher.
The school has a number of memories to recollect. One is the visit of Nobel Laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore to the school in 1926. Miss Verulkar, a foreigner, was the head of the school at that time. The visit of this great poet is regarded as a glorious part of history of Mymensingh region. Sreemoti Bibhubala Bakshi served the school for 25 years as its head.
The school has a library with over 5000 books with some rare collections. It has a hostel with accommodation for over 100 students. The hostel was established in 1896 for students coming from distant villages. It was used only for Hindu students.
Today the school is run by 50 teachers including two assistant headmasters. The school runs two shifts- morning and day shifts.